Formal Garden designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens and landscaped by Gertrude Jekyll
|Phone:||+353 (0)57 8733563|
After building Heywood House in 1773, the architect Fredrick Trench, inspired by his grand tour of Continental Europe, started the landscaping of the parklands by moving hills, digging lakes, planting trees and placing follies. The parkland Fredrick Trench created was considered the most exquisite romantic landscape of its time.
In the 1920’s, Colonel Hutchenson Poe hired Sir Edwin Lutyens (1869-1944) to design and Gertrude Jekyll (1843-1932) to landscape the formal gardens. The formal gardens are composed of four elements linked by a terrace. The formal gardens contrast with breath-taking views of the landscape. A walk lined with pollarded lime trees leads to a formal terrace overlooking the surrounding countryside.
Another terrace overlooks one of the lakes dug by Trench in the 1700s, where it is possible to spot moorhens, kingfishers and other water birds.
Heywood House burned down in 1950, but the Salesian Order, which owned the property at the time, saved the gardens. Today they are the best surviving example of Lutyens’ work in Ireland.
Open during daylight hours. Admission: free